About Me

Loving life to the fullest!!

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Mom


I will be taking my sweet Mother to the doctor again today. She has complaints of a constant back ache and stomach ache. She is so confused and I am sure her stomach ache is nerves.
She finally said the words today "I am so confused and I am depressed". I can honestly say I hate dementia. She cried and cried saying that "I will never get better. I don't want to be like this." But, I tried to comfort my mom with the words that God has blessed us beyond measure with so many things that we must learn to deal with this disease and move on.

I am desperately trying to remember who she was, and I hate that that memory is slipping away. She was always helping others, always willing to have someone in her home for a meal or a party. She loved the family of God and faithfully played the organ every Sunday for over 50 years. Boy, could she cook and she could sew and she could clean like no other. But, all that is gone, and it doesn't really matter to me, because I just want her well taken care and to see her smile from time to time is good enough now.

The older I get, I see how some things that were so important to me when I was 20 aren't important now at all. God has a way of changing our priorities, and so often it helps us keep our eyes focused on Him. "Turn your eyes upon Jesus,look full in his wonderful face, and the things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace." Isn't it weird and wonderful that when we look in the eyes of Jesus, the things of this earth seem so unimportant. Keep looking at Him!!! Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment